Aptem - a successful fast-growing B2B SaaS platform with a headquarter in the UK is looking for an Engineering Manager to join their team.
The company is developing award-winning technology solutions for the vocational training, further education and employability sectors and working mainly with government projects. Across the UK, Aptem is delighting training and employability providers, universities, colleges, tutors, assessors, employers and, most importantly, learners and jobseekers.
The vacancy is remote, but it will be also possible to join the team in Kyiv once their office will be reopened.
An Engineering Manager is responsible for the overall development capability of an area of the Aptem platform. Specifically, the engineering manager is responsible for the engineers that report to him, and their ability and effectiveness to design, build, and maintain their specific areas of responsibility of the Aptem platform. Each Engineering Manager should coordinate with other Engineering Managers to ensure alignment, or conscious misalignment, of practices and processes that facilitate and support the software development lifecycle. Each Engineering Manager should take direct responsibility for the assessment, guidance and development of each engineer that reports to them, and should do all that they can to help the engineers and their teams build great product.
The Engineering Manager will report to the Head of Engineering, and should collaborate and coordinate closely with key leaders in Infrastructure, Quality, and Process. Explicitly, all Engineering Managers should work closely together to ensure the best possible Aptem engineering function is created and maintained across all of Aptem’s development team.
What is most important in this role?
- Leads the engineers in technical practices, processes, and frameworks of development
- Ensures every engineer has a personal development plan and is regular assessed and consistently working to improve their skills
- Maintains a competent and functioning engineering organization that is able to design, build, deploy, and maintain the Aptem platform
- Facilitates building engineering teams that care about customers, security, reliability, maintainability, consistency, reusability, scalability, and other good engineering practices
- Works with Product and Engineering teams to ensure that created roadmaps are credible, achievable, and will deliver high value product increments
- Is forward-thinking, aware of new and upcoming technology, and helps ensure our software development capability is adequately future-proof and continually advancing forward
- Provide technical input into the design and development process
- Ensuring an effective code review process
- Performance and security of the platform
- Provide technical leadership to your direct teams and individuals
- Support the maintenance and management of Aptem’s Azure environments
- Enhance and develop the skills of the development team
- Grow the development team and identify and nurture effective leaders
- Help build and grow self-organizing and self-managing high performing Scrum teams
- Help maintain the Aptem architecture to allow future development
- Monitor and introduce modern technologies and processes
What you should have:
- SQL Server
- Angular framework
- Agile development
- Software architecture
- Deep technical understanding of full technological stack
- Team management and motivation
- Individual coaching and mentoring
- Strong technical background
- Challenging the team to improve
- Recognise high performers and nurture
- Recognise and address poor performance
- Actively seeking ways to improve and do things better
- Remote full-time job (also possible to work from the office in Kyiv in future).
- 20 paid holiday days per annum
- 5 paid sick days per annum
- Medical insurance of £350 per annum with a local company.
- Competitive salary level.
- Flexible working hours (with a core day of 10am - 7pm to align with UK time)
- English tuition
- In case if overtimes happen and approved - it is paid at a rate of 1.5 x salary at the discretion of the CTO
- A "motivation pack" to engage and motivate employees (this fund has been used for ski trips, birthday gifts, bonuses, events, paid courses etc).